Saturday, February 20, 2010

pacifiers

Let me start by saying, I'm all for pacifiers, I think they are important for infants, to sooth them and let them develop their sucking skills. I had my first child when I was 19, like a lot of new parents, I relied on my pediatrician for the answers. He told me 9 months old is a good time to take the pacifier away, and it has stuck with me ever since, simply because it works! Once your child learns how to ask for it by name, it is going to be a lot harder taking it away. Really it only takes 1 to 2 nights at that age to break them of the habit, which is way better then all the germs that they collect as then go through their toddler years dropping them, and sharing binky's with their friends.
But if you haven't taking it away yet and you are ready to, here is my advice, you are the parent, if you want to take the binky away then do it. Quite frankly if your child is 2 or 3, they have it's because it helps you not them. Its a good way to plug them up, but let me tell you something, they look ridiculous when they have to take the swollen binky out of their mouth to ask you something. Sorry,I'm just saying what everyone else was thinking.I don't believe in the Binky Fairy, or giving it to Santa etc. I think you have to "man up", and go "cold turkey". " Binkys are for babies, now that you are such a big kid, we are going to throw all you pacifier in the trash" " if you do a great job with out crying, we'll do some special big kid stuff" You might have a couple tough nights but positive reinforcement will work, and then its done! over with! you did it! , No cheating, get rid of them all, you can put up with a couple rough nights, you are Super Mom after all, right?

No comments:

Post a Comment